Parker Hannifin’s commitment to responsible operations is deeply ingrained within its Win Strategy and illustrates how Parker is living its purpose. Everyday employees from across the globe are taking action to create a safety-first workplace, improve the business and strengthen communities. Parker is also demonstrating how its interconnected portfolio of motion and control technologies is critical to enabling a cleaner and more sustainable world, an opportunity for Parker to have a positive impact.
Parker announced ambitious targets that reflect Parkers’ commitment to protecting the environment for our generation and future generations.
Parker is committing to achieve carbon neutral operations by 2040. Parker established a series of emissions targets to ensure continued progress, which includes:
- Reducing absolute emissions directly from the company’s operations by 50% by 2030.
- Reducing indirect absolute emissions related to materials sourcing, logistics and services by 15% by 2030, and 25% by 2040.
This commitment is another important step Parker is taking to create a more sustainable future for generations to come.
Technologies from Parker that contribute to a sustainable future
Parker delivers technology solutions that enable the adoption of cleaner and more efficient energy, electrification, light weighting, and other innovations with a positive, global environmental impact to hundreds of thousands of companies across the industrial, mobile, and aerospace markets, including:
- A comprehensive suite of engineered materials such as thermal management, coatings, adhesives, and vibration control that enable more electric applications.
- A broad range of motion and control technologies to support the use of various clean energy sources such as batteries, fuel cells, hydrogen, sustainable fuels, and renewable energy.
- Strongest motion technology offering with electro-hydraulic, electromechanical, and pneumatic actuators, valves, pumps, motors, controllers, software and conveyance for more electric aerospace, mobile and industrial applications.
- Broad platform of filtration technologies to accelerate a cleaner and more sustainable world.
- Exciting bill-of-material expansion opportunities both for onboard OEM equipment as well as significant new infrastructure investment to support a cleaner technology world.
Parker is often called upon for the collaborations that help to solve the most complex engineering challenges. Breakthroughs that make the world cleaner, smarter and safer would not be possible without Parker technologies.
Other ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) highlights includes:
- Safety is a core value that all Parker team members share, and Parker have reduced its Recordable Incident Rate by 72% from 2015 through 2020. In 2020, the recordable incidents per 100 team members was 0.40, a reduction of 35% from 2019.
- In 2020, Parker’s climate disclosure score was ranked in the top quartile among diversified industrial peer companies.
- Today, Parker recycles more than 85% of waste generated by manufacturing operations and continue to reduce the volume of waste sent to landfills.
- The Parker-Hannifin Foundation has donated $64 million since 2010, including $6 million in 2020.
“Parker understands that acting responsibly, safely, and sustainably creates a better world for everyone. While there is more work to be done, we are confident in our strategy of achieving business success through ESG leadership.” Thomas L. Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Parker Hannifin.
Parker contributes to technology innovation and operations improvements to enable a more sustainable future.
Parker has already made significant progress in reducing greenhouse gas emissions throughout the business. Since 2010, Parker have reduced their energy intensity (MWh/USD) by 42%, and greenhouse gas intensity (MT/USD) by 50%. With this solid foundation to build on, this year Parker is committing to achieve carbon neutral operations by 2040.
Parker deliver technology solutions that are critical to enabling the adoption of cleaner and more efficient energy, electrification, light weighting and other innovations with a positive, global environmental impact to hundreds of thousands of companies across the industrial, mobile and aerospace markets.
Parker monitors the amount of water they use and recycle to cool and clean equipment at their manufacturing facilities. Through their water conservation strategy, Parker are investing in targeted projects in locations where water is scarce. Water scarcity is also included as a key factor in their site acquisition analysis.
Waste and Materials Management
Today, Parker recycles more than 85% of waste generated by manufacturing operations, and they continue to reduce the volume of waste sent to landfills.